Getting Started in Real Estate
If helping others is your passion, or if it brings you satisfaction and comfort, then being a Florida Real Estate Agent is the right career for you. This career is all about meeting new people and building relationships that turn into social and financial rewards. There are many different career paths available in the real estate market. These real estate professionals include becoming a residential realtor, commercial realtor, property manager, or even a mortgage broker. Although there are many other real estate professions available in the market, these four are viewed as some of the more popular career paths. Let's get started:
What are the Requirements to Become a Real Estate Agent?
- Be at least 18 years old or older
- Hold at least a high school diploma or equivalent
- Have a social security number
- Do not need to be a Florida resident
- If already licensed in another state, you may qualify for a mutual recognition license if you reside in one of the 8 states with the agreement.
What Are The Steps to Obtain a License?
Complete a 63 hour Real Estate Sales Associate Course
- The course must be approved by the Florida Real Estate Commission
- No more than 8 hours of class can be missed
- At the end of the course, the final exam must be passed with a score of 70% or higher
Applying For the State Exam
- Apply before taking the course exam
- Can print and send in your application or apply online on the Department of Business and Professional Regulation (DBPR) website
- More resources and information on becoming a Real Estate Sales Associate can be found here
- The application must be notarized and include electronic fingerprints, which can be obtained from a Person Vue site
Pass the State Exam
- The exam can be taken either online or at a Pearson Vue testing center
- The exam is graded immediately
- Once the exam is passed, the candidate can interview and select a brokerage
Interviewing and Joining a Brokerage
After passing the state exam, you will need to select a real estate company. There are many real estate companies that offer training, coaching, technology, and numerous compensation plans and support. Picking the right real estate company is the most important decision you will need to launch your career as a new real estate agent.
One thing to consider is whether you should join an independent brokerage or a major franchise brokerage. As you start your career, you need instant credibility and name recognition. You can only get that with a globally recognized franchise like Century 21. For over two decades, Century 21 has held the title as the most trusted and recognized name in the real estate industry. That is the name recognition you will need to launch your career in real estate.
At Century 21 Affiliates, we are relentless in our pursuit for real estate agents with enthusiasm and a passion for the business, a commitment for a full-time career, a desire for continuous training and education for career growth that matches our reputation as a supportive real estate company that focuses on your success.
Century 21 Affiliates encourages you to contact one of our trained management professionals whom will be able to assist you in any and all of your real estate needs. We look forward to hearing from you!